"Jonathan, thanks again for coming again last night. Your presentations have been by far the best parenting classes we've had since I've been here. Thanks!"
—Matthew Hyde, Education Manager, Early Head Start, Kids On the Move Program
—[ The 5th of Eight in The Relationship Mastery Series ]—
"Kids don't come with an owner's manual... But I found one, it's Love and Logic." —Mother
There's a lot of advice out there on how to raise your kids—some better than others. "Love and Logic" is a favorite of therapists, family life educators, teachers, principles and most importantly parents. It is practical, easy to learn and really effective! Come and enjoy this fun, upbeat and informative workshop full of useful tips!
We took the class from Jonathan Sherman, an EXCELLENT teacher, and we have loved parenting with these methods in mind! It'll be hard at times but seriously, you'll love it!
—Amy Ehat Woolery, elementary school teacher and mother.
This class is currently NOT scheduled... To schedule it for your group or school contact Jonathan at 801-787-8014 or fill out the Speaker Request Form here
Materials (articles, handouts, worksheets) are included. The book Parenting with Love and Logic may also be purchased at the class (recommended, but optional).
Here's the run down of what we'll cover each week. Can't come one night, come the next week. You're still welcome.
- Intro to Love & Logic
- Discipline Basics
- Training the Parent to Train the Child
- Enforceable Statements
- Participant's Action Plan
- Review Successes/Struggles
- Three Parenting Styles
- Effective Discipline Strategies continued
- Participant's Action Plan
- Relationship Building as a Crucial Aspect of Effective Discipline via Building Strong Families with “ACCCTS”
- Participant's Action Plan
- Dealing with special situations: Lying, Angry Child, Bullying
- Participant's Action Plan
- Review and Next Steps
Special Section: Parenting Teens
Real-life Q&A throughout.
"Parenting with Love & Logic: Plus Jonathan's Tips from the Trenches"
This is a mini version of the 4 week class and makes for a great Date Night. However, this is NOT a "teaser" workshop to just get you to sign-up for the 4 week class. This is a fully stand-alone workshop—meaning you'll get plenty from this in just one night with lots of support materials in the workbook to refer to long after the workshop.
Contact Jonathan to schedule this workshop for your organization.
Each of these mini classes can be done in 45-60 minutes. These are three common and popular topic areas I frequently address with my parenting clients:
1. Parenting: "Love & Logic" Basic Mindsets & Discipline Practices
There's a lot of advice out there on how to raise your kids. As family therapists and family life educators we read and keep up on the latest and best parenting information in the field. Love and Logic is our personal favorite. It is practical, pretty easy to learn and really effective!
2. Parenting: House Rules that Rule! Setting and Enforcing Them Peacefully and Effectively
House rules create structure, clarify expectations, and set boundaries. Just like the structure that a physical home provides to both protect against storms outside and create a cozy atmosphere inside, clearly defined and effectively enforced house rules do the same for our family relationships. And the real problem that parents face isn't establishing the house rules, it's enforcing them in a way that actually works.
3. Parenting: Animal Training for Humans: How to Use Dog, Horse and Dolphin Training Techniques in Your Parenting
Believe it or not the methods animal trainers use are much more humane, respectful, and EFFECTIVE than how we humans interact with (train) each other. So yes, I do want you to treat your children like dogs! ;-) In this fun and highly practical class learn how to better parent your kids and partner with your partner by implementing the principles and psychology of human behavior shaping and animal training strategies that I have been using for years in my practice with youth and couples.
Parenting the Love & Logic™ Way
(formerly "Becoming a Love and Logic™ Parent") class teaches 12 tools in 3 key areas helping to discover new approaches to:
Want any of this...?
- Spending less time and energy disciplining your kids and more time enjoying them.
- Avoiding getting hooked into power struggles with your kids.
- Applying consequences in a way that makes your kid's poor choices the bad guy, not you.
- Getting your kids ready for the day (and for real life) without constant reminders, warnings and lectures.
- Setting limits just once and follow through with meaningful consequences.
- Increased respect and love in your family at the same time.
Well, you got it! That's exactly what Love & Logic is designed for and it's what we help you achieve.
$95 per individual, $149 per couple.
Can’t find a time that works? Host a class in your home or school! It's actually pretty easy.
If you and some of your friends and neighbors are ready to jump in right now there's no need to wait for a class. Host a class in your own home, school, church, or place of business over a lunch hour. It's easy and fun and there are some great incentives for the host! Fill out this Sign-Up Form now to be contacted about hosting your own class or attending a hosted class!
Host In Your Home
Instead of trying to find a class or waiting for a class to start, host a private class yourself and learn together in a comfortable setting with the people you know and love.
Learn with people you love. Host a private class for just your family and friends in your home, or feel free to invite your neighbors or open it up to the larger community.
Strength in numbers. It's so great to be able to have the support of people you know who are trained in the same parenting approach you are. At the end of the course you'll have a built-in support system because all your class-mates are also your friends.
Location Ideas: Home, clubhouse, library community room, church, school, your company's conference room.
Home Host Incentives
For hosting the course at your location you receive the following:
- Course Registration Fee for you and a partner/friend: Waived
- A $10 Thank You Commission for each individual or couple registered (individual fee or couple fee) that attends your event. For example, if 5 individuals and 5 couples came to your event that amounts to 10 fees (5 individual fees + 5 couples fees) x $10 each = $100 for you.
Host at Your School for Your Parents and the Community
If the PTA or school hosts a class you get:
- 10 Vouchers that waive the fee for parents who are motivated and committed to take the class but who can't afford the full fee.
- Hosting Incentive fundraiser amount (see below).
PTA/School Host Incentive
Do as a PTA/School/Class fundraiser and receive 20% of paid registrations for your school! For this example, even though the fees are $95/person and $149/pair, I'll round the fee to $100/person for ease of estimating your hosting incentive:
- If you get 20 paid registrations at $100/each = $2,000 = $400 fundraiser amount for your school.
- If you get 40 paid registrations = $800 for your school.
- If you get 60 registrations = $1,200 for your school.
Class Format Options
Choose the format that works best for your group:
- Four 2 hour classes held weekly. This is the most common option. Traditional instructors have held the class over 6-7 weeks. While I like this approach for the longer-term integration of learning, I generally do mine in 4 weeks as it easier for parents schedule-wise and more realistic for people to commit to attending all of the classes. Time is flexible depending on your group. Typically we do it from 7:00-9:00 pm, though we can adjust it however you like.
- Two 4 hour classes held over two Saturdays (or two evenings)
- Several 1-1.5 hour Lunch & Learn classes held at your place of business
It's easy to get started with 3 P's:
- You provide the PEOPLE and
- the PLACE.
- Jonathan provides the PRESENTATION and all the rest.
So just talk to your friends and neighbors and contact Jonathan's office at 801.787.8014 or seminars@MarriageEnvy.com to set up a class.
What if I've already taken the course from Joanthan and want to attend as a refresher? Refresher Course
Only $25 if you've already taken the full course from Jonathan.
10 paid registrations min. Max is depending on the space available.
So, 10 paid registrations would equal a combination of 10 registered individuals and/or couples (so one person = one registration, one couple = one registration). For example, let's say five couples are coming and five individuals are coming that would equal 15 people and 1o paid registrations. Note: You as the host individual or couple would not be counted as you are not a paid registration since your fee is waived!
Cost for 4-6 week class (4 week classes are 2.5 hours each, 6 week classes are 1.5 hours each)
- $95 per person.
- $149 per couple.
Price includes the cost of the parent handbook, and related materials and is yours to keep.
Optional: The books Parenting with Love and Logic and Parenting Teens with Love and Logic will be available for sale optionally (I don't make these mandatory as many people already have a copy). I highly recommend getting a copy if you don't have one already. A limited number of hardcover copies will be available for sale at their normal retail value of $24.99.
Q: The Love and Logic class in our school district is cheaper. Why should I attend your class?
If cost is your primary concern then I would recommend the class through your school district. You will likely have a very positive experience. I would not talk someone out of attending a class in that setting. I will, however, highlight the reasons why the class I teach has some valuable and unique assets:
Most facilitators of the Love and Logic approach have been trained in the material and how to teach the class effectively. However, not all have been trained through Love and Logic. Some are teaching it for the first time and others have been teaching it for years.
With me you get a family therapist who has been doing parent training for over 18 years. As a family therapist I have worked in every setting and with every situation families deal with: from mild behavior problems such as whining, doing chores, disrespect to serious problem such as drug-addicted teenagers, conduct disordered, ADHD, mental health (depression, anxiety, suicidal), eating disorders, you name it. Few other trainers have that level of experience that they are able to bring to the classroom.
As such, I bring in many real-life stories, practical examples, and "in-the-trenches" proven techniques. The "PLUS" part of my "Love and Logic PLUS" are the additional mindsets, principles and practices, tips and strategies that I add into the regular Love and Logic curriculum.
I am a professional speaker. My presentations are fun, upbeat, informative and research-based. I have a strict "no-snooze" policy and we will laugh a lot as we learn.
Further, I, along with my wife, am an experienced parent of four children, three of whom are currently teenagers.
So if cost is your primary concern then I recommend finding a cheaper class. If experience and real-life strategies from the trenches matter more to you then I invite you to participate in one of my classes. And really, considering you're getting all of this (8 hours of instructions, workbook, materials, and access to a parenting expert and family therapist) for $95/person or $149/couple ( = Only $9-12 per hour per person), which is pretty dang cheap my friend.
Q: Does my spouse or partner need to come?
Yes. I realize that may not always be possible, however, I would make it the highest priority. It is much more effective for both parenting partners to attend together so they can "get on the same page," "speak the same language," and thus be able to present a truly united front that the kids can no longer divide. Those who have come alone have reported that it's impossible to share everything that was learned in class nor in the way it was taught. Plus, for some reason it seems easier for partners to hear these ideas from a neutral third party instructor than from each other.
Q: What if I'm a single parent?
Single parents should definitely come. While your job in some ways is harder as you don't have a partner to tag team with, being single is in some ways easier in this aspect as you don't need to negotiate with another parent in the home to do it this or that way. You are in the driver's seat and you will find that you will get tons of ideas and strategies here that will help you conserve your energy and strength as you learn to parent even more effectively.
Q: Can I bring my children?
Out of consideration for all participants children are not allowed. As lovely as your children are they can be unintentionally distracting and it would not be fair to those who have paid to attend to be distracted due to the necessities of someone tending to their infant or child during class.
Q: What is your refund and cancellation policy?
To receive a full refund you need to cancel at least 30 days in advance. If you cancel less than 30 day in advance, you will receive a credit towards a future class or workshop of your choice.
I don't filter my evaluation results I give them here as straight as I get them. I figure if you're making the important decision to select the right speaker for your group is it better to just get filtered positive only testimonials about a potential speaker or to know how people respond to the speaker including both those who loved it and didn't? So if someone thought I stunk you'll hear it hear first. Obviously, I don't try to make everyone happy. Part of my utility is to get people out of their comfort zones. If the majority love an approach I use in a seminar I'll continue those items that resonate with most. If the majority hate an approach I'll drop it. If one or two people don't like what the majority love, then I don't give much heed to those critiques, of course. However, I appreciate all feedback, which is one of the reasons my evaluation results are consistently high: My audiences teach me what they like and what works best for them and I listen.
My evaluation form contains the following items:
- 1-10 Rating: "Please rate your overall experience of this presentation"
- The Good: "What was brilliant, superb, exhilarating, life-altering, or opened the heavens for you? In short, what did you like about the presentation?
- One Thing: "What's one thing that you plan on using and/or implementing into your life from this presentation?" This tells me out of everything what was the one thing that had the most meaningful impact.
- The Bad: "What stunk, turned your stomach, gave you a headache, made you dizzy, or gave you gas? In short, what didn't you like that could be improved and/or what would you like to see covered that wasn't? (Go ahead, I can take it!)"
- Requested eZine: This is actually also an evaluation measure: You'd think that someone who would give a lower rating didn't like the presentation. However, while it may not have been the favorite for that person, they got enough out of it that they would like to receive emails containing articles, tips, strategies and events on these topics from me.
Event: Northern Utah Marriage Celebration, Feb 2014
- Revealing the Joys of Parenting: Young Children
- Revealing the Joys of Parenting: Tweens and Beyond
Conference Feedback from the conference's own evaluation forms:
Average Scores: (1 = Poor, 5 = Excellent)
Information was prepared and well presented:
- Revealing the Joys of Parenting: Young Children: 4.64 / 5
- Revealing the Joys of Parenting: Tweens and Beyond: 4.87 / 5
Information was valuable or useful to me:
- Revealing the Joys of Parenting: Young Children: 4.78 / 5
- Revealing the Joys of Parenting: Tweens and Beyond: 4.90 / 5
Comments about Presenter: Jonathan Sherman
Event: Parenting with Love and Logic Early Head Start: Kids On the Move Program. For parents in the program.
Number of Evals Returned: 26
Average Rating for this Event: 9.4/10
Event: Parenting & Mental Health, Part 1.
Early Head Start: Kids On the Move Program. In-service training for parent educators
Number of Evals Returned: 16
Average Rating for this Event: 9.6/10
"I wanted to thank you for coming out to present to our staff last month. Everyone enjoyed it—so much so that they encouraged our parents to suggest and vote on “Love and Logic” to be the parenting theme for November. To kick off the theme that our parents choose, we do a parent class during our Parent Committee meeting on the second Wednesday of every month. We’d love to have you come again to present to our parents." —Matthew Hyde, Education Manager, Early Head Start: Kids On The Move
JS: See Love & Logic Plus page for additional content.